Thursday, June 16, 2016

Yellow footed green pigeon in Faridabad

Last year, the good wife did remark once, upon a medium sized "green" bird that briefly landed on the fence and then, was gone. Keeping my eyes peeled at the bank of teak trees, I did manage to catch glimpses of the green pigeon now and then but could not catch them on camera. A few days back, I could finally catch one of them, perched high on the tree.

Yellow footed green pigeon in Faridabad, India

Now it wonders what's going on and poof! Vanishing time! The green pigeon is called hariyal in India and is the State bird in the State of Maharashtra. Although it is widespread, sightings are rare and it hides itself exceptionally well. The yellow foot and purple patch on the shoulder are distinctive. Wish I could get some more pictures!

4 comments:

  1. What beautiful, clear and pretty pictures! A charming bird with wonderful colouring. Lovely shots. How nice to have them close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I had a really long telephoto lens Sherry.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. The pictures you did manage to get are wonderful, as usual!
    I love those yellow feet and legs. And your second shot effectively captures the distinctive purple shoulder patch.
    As I've said before, you definitely could put out a "Birds of India" guide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rita. Actually, I think this bird just allowed me to photograph it for a few seconds and I'm really grateful for that opportunity.

      Delete