Friday, January 31, 2020

A whiff of China


The Makar Sankranti fell on 15th January, the day from when days become longer at the end of the month of the winter solstice. There was a subtle warmth in the weather that I could sense as soon as I woke up that morning. Nature was once again on its way in the change of seasons, an inevitable cyclical progression. 

Last year, your blushing face,
And the blushing faces 
Of the peach blossoms reflecting
Yours. This door, this day
- this year, where are you,
You, in the peach blossoms?
The peach blossoms still
here, giggling
At the spring breeze

(Cui Hu, Tang Dynasty poet, quoted in " The death of a Red Heroine, by Qiu Xiaolong)  

In such changing times, one is perhaps entitled to indulge in a bit of nostalgia :)

You came,
like a sparkling dream

Memories,
like shining drops of rain
On blades of grass, remain


4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, it is a time for nostalgia, and looking back. Who knew then how those memories would shine so golden, now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Sherry. Trust all's well in your corner of the world

      Delete
  2. So lovely to see you stopped by my blog, my faraway friend. I hope you are staying safe from the virus, which I imagine is very difficult in thickly populated areas. We have been lucky here in the village and were free of covid. But now that things are opening up a little, the tourists are coming, bringing their germs......especially from the USA. The border is closed, but they brag they tell the officials they are going to Alaska, and re let through - then they come here and to other tourist destinations. ARGH. We have stayed indoors for months and now are more at risk than ever when we venture out. Sigh. Otherwise, I am surrounded by beauty for which I am grateful. Not writing much or well, rather bogged down by all that is going on. Either this is total collapse or a complete transformation. I hope it is the latter, though it feels like the former. However we live in hope that we will come through to a more balanced world - for that I think we need to vote out psychopaths. Stay well. Hope your beautiful family is healthy and happy. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Since retiring from Poets United it is rather like I died.....lol. Not many visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by my blog, my faraway friend. I love your Memories poem as much this year as last. I hope you and your family are staying safe in the midst of the pandemic, no easy feat. In Canada we were too slow with vaccinating and variant numbers are climbing alarmingly. Sigh. I recently moved into a four unit seniors housing complex and am thrilled with my new space. It is small and cozy, on ground level, and out my window, or when I sit in the yard, I gaze on two ancient cherry trees all in full heavenly bloom right now. I love your comment that the trees will rise again. It is good to think, no matter how badly we have treated this planet, that nature heals and will restore herself in time if we can rid ourselves of human ignorance. Which seems on the upswing these days in North America. Lovely to connect with you. Stay safe. That daughter of yours must be a lovely young woman by now.

    ReplyDelete