Thursday, October 8, 2015

Moorhens at Ambala

Found these lovely creatures in Rani Ki Talao, Ambala Cantt. The common moorhen looks like a duck species while in water, rather similar to the Eurasian Coot ...

Common Moorhen at Ambala, Haryana
But when it is foraging at the water's edge, the feet make it clear that it is a hen species :) 


Then there were these ducks which were visible only on close scrutiny. Looked absolutely lovely, and I had to search for the name of the lesser whistling duck or teal in the net. Wish I had stayed a bit longer to let them feel at ease for more pictures ...

Lesser Whistling Duck at Ambala

Another pair looked quite comfy at the far end of the pond

Finally, the white breasted water hen, with her chicks in tow at another end of the pond

White breasted water hen at Ambala
 There were a few of the red wattled lapwings around, which are quite common in Northern India. This one seemed just a little concerned by my approach, but not unduly alarmed. Peace be to them!

Red wattled lapwing, Ambala


6 comments:

  1. LOVE these photos. Mama Duck was looking right at you in one shot. This looks like a beautiful spot, for walks and photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing your precious collections ------- Boodhooram

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bird photography, Soumyendu.

    I haven't been posting or reading blogs much during the past couple months though. In August my father was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer and I have been flying back and forth from Utah to PA, spending about four weeks there since August. I was in the hospital with him when he passed away this month and it was a difficult experience for him, and heartbreaking for me.
    I hope to return to blogging in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand how you feel Rita, because, in some moments of repose, I miss my father dearly. He gave us no trouble at all, hospitalized at 8 p.m before I was back from work and at midnight, there was that call.
      My mother on the other hand, fights on at 83 with a history of CVA, pneumonia and all that. We must endure and live with age, disease and death, come to terms with them, seek to ease their clawing grasp.
      Am glad you wrote. Thanks a lot and I mean it

      Delete